Saturday, September 09, 2006

blogger question

question for the bloggers (yes, all three of you)

who do you blog for?

for me, i blog for myself, and for my few friends, mostly for the ones who live far away or abroad to let them know what i've been up to.

does it bother you when people you don't know read your blog?

for me, i guess it depends on who. i was fortunate to meet ONE person through blogging (that's you, eva!) and i was able to "get to know" others better through their blog. but, i just assumed that there was some type of blogger etiquette when grace first introduced me to the interesting world of blogging. i never read other's blogs unless i had some sort of permission. it scares me that people i don't know read my blog.

i guess that's the internet for you.

does anyone know a solution to this?

2 Comments:

Blogger Eva said...

Hi Shannon!

I mainly blog for my friends. It's a way for them to sort of keep up with what's going on in my life. I also use it as a way to procrastinate, and it acts as a great empty canvas when I'm feeling particularly creative. However, I neither have had time to blog nor have I felt particularly creative lately, hence the lack in current posts.

I don't mind if strangers read my blog. I try to be cautious about what I share on the internet anyways, so I am not totally vulnerable. I'm a little more concerned about distant acquaintances who I do not like reading my blog.

I think it's fine to read other people's blogs without their permission because the nature of a blog is to be public. It's not like a personal diary - although some may see it that way. In that case, those people should protect or privatize their entries. However, if you choose to publish your posts, then you should accept the fact that anyone can read them.

Blogger doesn't have the feature to privatize certain posts to friends, but Xanga and Livejournal do.

12:48 PM  
Blogger Grace said...

It is funny that you mention the whole thing about random people who read your blog... I have had a couple of people who I know through other friends (you know, friends of friends) and they tell me that they've been reading my blog for a while and that they feel bad about prying into my life. I mostly blog for my friends and family but it's OK if others read it. I never really post anything too personal on here. For my close friends, skype, email, and phones serve to fill in the juicier bits of my life. I hope you're doing well. I MISS YOU! I will be back home in about a month.

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home