Saturday, February 26, 2005

ugly

i need to blog this before i forget. it's been awhile....

i remember two or three weeks ago there was an incident in one of my classes. it was with 1B, one of my cutest classes that consists of all girls. they're definitely one of my favorite classes. in the class, there is a girl named kanako who sits in seat number 26. she's super loud, but she's super cute. she's a good kid....but, dumb as a rock. as are most of the girls in the school.

this lesson was on feelings. after filling in the worksheet, the girls had to repeat after me. now, even though i say the word many times during the lesson, and even have them repeat after me, it just doesn't sink into their heads.

now, this one part in the handout, the girls had to identify the emotion in the picture and write it down. of course, the answers can vary depending on how one interprets the picture, but they're pretty clear. the guy in the picture was clearly angry. now, when i call on the students to say the answer, they must respond with "I'm so-and-so, or, I am, or I feel so-and-so." kanako got confused with how to pronounce angry, and mixed it up with a word that we taught them months ago, "agree." now, when japanese pronounce this word, there is really no phonetic difference between "agree" and "ugly."

so, i picked kanako and she seriously shouts at the top of her lungs, "I'M AGREE! I'M AGREE!" which basically sounds like, "I'M UGLY! I'M UGLY!"

me and my teacher couldn't help but laugh. it's not that we're making fun of her...but, come on now. it's hard not to laugh at that. we explained to the class what ugly meant.

kanako was a good sport about it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Grace said...

U, G, L, Y,
You ain't got no alibi, you're ugly!

Haha! Share the love. Let's see the list!

6:22 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

this reminds me of my GSI from Brazil who can't pronounce the th sound, so whenever we are talking about the first world, second world, thirdworld nations she keeps making reference to a 'turd world.'

The whole class snickers, she doesn't get it.

1:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi shan, I recently started a new blog called Ugly Blog so I've been searching around for ugliest related blogs to check out and possibly trade links with. I found this entry (ugly) in my search so I thought I'd drop a line to let you know. Anyway nice blog and have a good day!

9:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home