so....what happened? USA or nay?
Let's talk in terms of numbers.
I spent 24 months in Japan.....constantly bitching about my lack of intense practice and contemplating on whether or not to try out for the next national women's kendo team. Still, I practiced 6 times a week and taugth the kendo club at the high school.
Flew to New Jersey last April and was in 3 time zones in 6 days (or something like that), and made the first cut...16 out of 30-something women remained.
My heart broke a 1000 times after having to say good bye to so many wonderful people that I met in Japan.
Came back from Japan on August 29th and went through some crazy dramas.....suffered more broken hearts...all within 1 month upon my return. My emotional state was just not ready to put 100% into training. therefore.....i partied!
I knew that upon return, I had to buckle down and start training because theoretically, I only had about 4 months to train.
Jumped right into practice and suffered a torn left groin. Went to practice 2x a week, gym 3-4x.
Worked 2 jobs for about 2 months, and one week worked over 65 hours.
Got sick maybe 1 or 2 times.
Re-injured my right shoulder by hyperextending it with less than 2 weeks to go until the tryouts.
January 14th, out of 15 women (one withdrew), only 5 will be left while the other 10 get eliminated through a series of round robin groupings, round after round after round. Total number of women for team USA, 5, +1 who is the current US Champion from this past summers national championships. 2 coaches picks will be selected. Grand total = 8.
Time we began 9am. Time we ended 4-ish. Matches I played = 14. Matches I normally play in any given tournment, anything between 3-10.
I went through hell and back these past 4 months, and after a long hard struggle, I won the last spot on the US team.
THREE TIME'S A CHARM!!!!! TAIWAN, BABY!!!!!
I am officially a member of the US Women's kendo team. We will be playing in Taiwan in December of 2006. This will be my third (and last) world championships because I plan to retire while on top.
Starting February 5th, ALL MY WEEKENDS will be dedicated to practice. We will be required to fly down to LA every weekend. This time, we even have an olympic trainer to build us into monsters.
Grad school may have to wait.....havn't quite decided yet. Still a bit shocked by the excitement!
To all of you who thought of me, you helped me get there. Thank you from the bottom of my heart!
Next challenge; after the physical test we had to undergo to measure where we're at, it's no surprise that I am once again the physically weakest on the team. Time to strengthen up....anyone down to help or do it with me?
I spent 24 months in Japan.....constantly bitching about my lack of intense practice and contemplating on whether or not to try out for the next national women's kendo team. Still, I practiced 6 times a week and taugth the kendo club at the high school.
Flew to New Jersey last April and was in 3 time zones in 6 days (or something like that), and made the first cut...16 out of 30-something women remained.
My heart broke a 1000 times after having to say good bye to so many wonderful people that I met in Japan.
Came back from Japan on August 29th and went through some crazy dramas.....suffered more broken hearts...all within 1 month upon my return. My emotional state was just not ready to put 100% into training. therefore.....i partied!
I knew that upon return, I had to buckle down and start training because theoretically, I only had about 4 months to train.
Jumped right into practice and suffered a torn left groin. Went to practice 2x a week, gym 3-4x.
Worked 2 jobs for about 2 months, and one week worked over 65 hours.
Got sick maybe 1 or 2 times.
Re-injured my right shoulder by hyperextending it with less than 2 weeks to go until the tryouts.
January 14th, out of 15 women (one withdrew), only 5 will be left while the other 10 get eliminated through a series of round robin groupings, round after round after round. Total number of women for team USA, 5, +1 who is the current US Champion from this past summers national championships. 2 coaches picks will be selected. Grand total = 8.
Time we began 9am. Time we ended 4-ish. Matches I played = 14. Matches I normally play in any given tournment, anything between 3-10.
I went through hell and back these past 4 months, and after a long hard struggle, I won the last spot on the US team.
THREE TIME'S A CHARM!!!!! TAIWAN, BABY!!!!!
I am officially a member of the US Women's kendo team. We will be playing in Taiwan in December of 2006. This will be my third (and last) world championships because I plan to retire while on top.
Starting February 5th, ALL MY WEEKENDS will be dedicated to practice. We will be required to fly down to LA every weekend. This time, we even have an olympic trainer to build us into monsters.
Grad school may have to wait.....havn't quite decided yet. Still a bit shocked by the excitement!
To all of you who thought of me, you helped me get there. Thank you from the bottom of my heart!
Next challenge; after the physical test we had to undergo to measure where we're at, it's no surprise that I am once again the physically weakest on the team. Time to strengthen up....anyone down to help or do it with me?

7 Comments:
that is so awesome, girl!! congratulations! dude, if i were closer to san jo, i would definitely come work out with you!
Oh my GOD shan. You are AWESOME. Mad props to you girl!
Sweet!!! Bust some serious ass....
You may be the weakest on the team but you could still kick my ass with your pinky finger
who ever thought you wouldn't have made it? you deserve to be the #1 kendo champ with all your hard work that you have labored through! BG
OMG!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!
I am so frickin excited for you. I can't believe I know someone on the US team. So. Rad. Hope your injuries have completely healed so you can beat the shit out of your opponents!
Gambarou!!!
Thanks all of you. And, I keep racking and racking my brain....but, who is BG?
i know who BG is.......BETH!!!!!
Post a Comment
<< Home